Monday, September 6, 2010

My Pull List

While in the midsts of some heavy-duty Two-Face analysis, I hit a little block and decided I couldn't post on time.  So I figured I'd post my pull list, since I had meant to get around to doing that sooner or later...

Here we go.  Here's what I'm currently reading:

  • Booster Gold (I'm missing Jurgens, but at least it reunites the JLI writing crew.  Not one for change.  Different = bad has always been my motto.  But I got a big soft spot for the "greatest hero you've never heard of" and his little robot sidekick.)
  • Green Lantern (always fun, colorful, and entertaining)
  • Green Lantern Corps (see above)
  • Brightest Day (just can't resist not knowing what's going on with this.  Besides, there are Martians in it.  And squirrels.)
  • Justice League: Generation Lost (hoping Giffen and DeMatteis get switched to this book, along with Kevin Maguire.  And that a million dollars falls out of the sky.)
  • Batgirl (so much fun.  I love this book!)
  • R.E.B.E.L.S. (Vril Dox is really growing on me, that sneaky little out-for-himself-Mr.-Always-Has-a-Plan.  Plus Lobo shows up, and that always means a good time.)
  • DC Universe Legacies (meh.  Adam Strange is in it next month, so there's something, I guess.)
  • Batman: Streets of Gotham (Two-Face backup story, obligated to buy.  Plus, the more I read Batman, the more I'm liking his secondary characters more than him.)
  • Time Masters: Vanishing Point (Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, Hal Jordan.  Too much awesome hair for my brain to handle.  Plus, seeing young Rip = me saying "awwww, how cute!" outloud to the book.  A lot.  This is why I have to comics read alone.)
  • Gotham City Sirens  (I liked it better in the beginning, but it's okay.)
  • Detective Comics (probably going to scratch this one soon.  It's getting hard to comprehend.)
  • Batman (scratched because it devolved into a Batman: R.I.P. missing chapter series.  Plus it had Grant Morrison's name on it.  Yes, I am that petty.  Besides, with the new series coming up, there's too many Batman books out there for me to afford, so I think I'm going to have to drop Batman all together, rather than go in half-way.)
  • Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors (Guy Gardner never ceases to entertain me.)

7 comments:

Eyz said...

What's this "R.E.B.E.L.S." about?
I've been wanting to pick one of those up for some time..but I'm stull not sure what it is really about?!

SallyP said...

Gosh, you read some good books!

Heh.

Aaron said...

Interesting to know that about DC Legacies, because I haven't been getting it, even though in some ways it looked to be of interest to me. So you don't like Grant Morrison? That's a relief because, although I've enjoyed some of his work when he's done more straightforward superhero stuff, there's a self congratulatory air about a lot of his work that rubs me the wrong way, and I just never found it as clever as it was trying to be. That's why, although I love the Doom Patrol, I have a big blank spot in my DP collection at his run. I actually enjoyed the issues leading up to his run, but I only ever read a friend's copies and decided I didn't need it.

LissBirds said...

Eyz, R.E.B.E.L.S. is basically just L.E.G.I.O.N. In fact, I thought at one point they were thinking of changing the name to L.E.G.I.O.N. It's a sci-fi story centering around Brainiac 2 (Vril Dox) and his mercenaries. Sometimes Adam Strange shows up, which is why I started reading it. Captain Comet makes appearances, too.

Sally, I can't go wrong with three GL books! :)

Aaron, I've gone on endless rants about Grant Morrison...the early JLA stories were fine, but I haven't read anything of his after that that I liked. Like you said, it always feels like he's trying to be clever rather than write a story, and you hit the nail on the head with the self-congratulatory bit. Batman R.I.P I didn't like at all, All-Star Batman and Robin I found downright offensive, and Final Crisis, with all it's metatextual yearnings (not to mentions plain confusion), was the last straw.

DC Legacies is okay. Just okay. I really want to like it more than I do, but it's kind of like reading a history textbook. Though, last month's issue had an undercover J'onn J'onzz on the police force and that made me very happy, so it has its moments.

Eyz said...

Ah! So Adam Strange's in there! That's probably how this book caught my attention once..
Not a super-fan of Legion m'self.. But I might give it a try if you find it fun and entertaining :P

Diabolu Frank said...

Liss, Dox only gets better/worse if you go back to L.E.G.I.O.N., especially the ones with Giffen or Tom Peyer, and of course the original R.E.B.E.L.S., which only got better by the issue (from a shaky start, but still...)

LissBirds said...

I'm definitely going to get around to hunting down some old L.E.G.I.O.N. stories. Thanks for the suggestions, Frank. Vril Dox is growing on me by leaps and bounds, same goes for the Omega Men. Lyrl gets on my nerves, though.