Friday, October 8, 2010

Real Life Heroes: Electron Boy

I just happened to hear about this story via a commenter in Shag's blog, Once Upon A Geek.  Did anyone hear that Seattle was saved by Electron Boy from the clutches of Dr. Dark and Blackout Boy?

Electron Boy's alter ego is Erik Martin, a thirteen-year-old boy living with liver cancer.  The Make-A-Wish Foundation granted him his wish to be a superhero for a day, which involved training with Spiderman, riding through the city in a DeLorean, and saving the Seattle Sounders soccer team, several civilians, and a city worker, ending in a dramatic showdown at the Space Needle.

You can read about the amazing efforts of the city of Seattle, including its citizens, police force, and city council, as well as the heroics of Electron Boy and the Make-A-Wish Foundation here, and here.  It might make you tear up a little, though.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

That is just amazingly great. I wish the best to Electron Boy. I'm a cancer survivor myself - ten years cancer free.

LissBirds said...

My favorite part about that story is that so many people were involved with granting his wish, that it became a show of support by a whole community. I'm glad to hear you're ten years cancer-free, Aaron, and I hope all that bad stuff is behind you for good.

Matt Campbell said...

Just wanted to let you all know that the Electron Boy comic is now available here: http://ccpcomics.com/electronboy/
All proceeds go directly to the Martin family.
Contact me with any questions.
Matt Campbell~Artist CCP comics
thepenciler@aim.com